Sunday, September 30, 2007

The other day I set up a computer (a Sony VAIO TXN25N B, for all of you nosy nerds) for my boss at work. It's a tiny thing, but with all of the bells and whistles that he needed for traveling to Mexico, to his condominium in Huatulco. I set up his WWAN connection, so now he can stay in touch anywhere (even internationally!) His idea of a vacation is to work on the company POS program, and e-mail all of the store managers with orders and to-do lists, on the veranda overlooking the bay with the cruise ship below, and white sand beaches in the distance... (with a beer in his hand, of course) After I set up the VPN connection into our network, and showed him that he was indeed connected without any local restrictions, he turned to me, and shook his head, saying, "That's amazing. Isn't technology great?" This is coming from a guy who uses three 21" screens, two land line telephones, one with a wireless headset, two cell phones, has IM for business contacts, thousands of e-mail contacts, Outlook2007 Calendar, and keeps track of millions of dollars of business with 2 logins and ten flipscreens!

And then it made me stop and think....indeed, we should never cease to be amazed....even at the technology that we use everyday. At the moment, I'm sitting on the patio, watching a beautiful sunset, while running three different virtual machines in linux, listening to my favorite music, while updating my blog (that nobody cares about anyway; well, maybe if you've read this far, you do) And it really is great. I can keep in touch with all of my children during the day (as long as I don't spend too much time while at work!) and see what they are doing via their blogs and messages, and what's going on and important in their lives. It is an exciting time to live.

4 comments:

Mandi said...

Dad, I care. I will have you know that your favorite daughter (me!!) checks your blog EVERYDAY to see if you have updated it cuz it's so awesome!!

Fat Dad said...

Kevin, I love reading your blog. Don't ever think that it's not appreciated. I think I speak for all of your kids when I say that you need to post more often!

Mandi said...

Kevin, I don't care if you ever leave another post as long as I live. OF COURSE I am just kidding. I obviously read your blog or I wouldn't be responding the day after you posted it. Keep us up to date with what is going on.
Michael

Fat Dad said...

Dad, I (your REAL favorite daughter) love reading your blog, even though I don't understand any of the computer/technology terms. I'm glad you added a new post and I look forward to reading your future posts!